Tuesday 1 October 2013

Wander: A sort of homecoming. Lithuania.

Feeling like I've come home.

Why come to Lithuania? Where is Lithuania?

We often got quizzical looks when we mentioned Vilnius being part of our travel plans. Much of Eastern Europe is still unchartered territory for the average traveller, so we understood anyone's surprise. Especially when its lumped in with our other heavy-footed destinations of Scotland, Berlin and Paris.  

I've always proudly identified as Lithuanian (at least in part), as I'm first generation Canadian on my father's side. As Lithuanians of a certain generation, my grandparents lived through atrocities that we have never been privy to know. Between hiding from the Nazi and Soviet armies, their last few years in Lithuania must have been filled with absolute fear, distrust and God knows what else. My father was born inside a German DP (displaced persons) camp and at the age of 6 months, he and my grandmother bravely escaped by boat to Canada. My grandfather left several months before to work as a minor in Northern Ontario. He was determined to firmly root his family in a new life away from the chaos.

Knowing part of your own history is quite dark, you're both in awe of your grandparents' strength and determination but also horrified this could ever be possible and you weep for their innocence. Lithuania finally gained its independence from Russian occupation in 1991, which has had a strong impact on how the country has flourished since. 

I have a rooted connection to my heritage, but I lacked any connection to the land itself. Being an artist there's always been something inside of me that felt very in-tune with my Lithuanian (and French) heritage. When we began planning our month-long trip my husband made a huge plea for Lithuania. Yes, Kevin was the main force behind our decision to visit my 'homeland'. 

My vision of Lithuania growing up was often a place of fear, despair and sadness, but eventually of triumph and determined spirit. My trepidation with visiting was that of fear itself. Fear I would regret coming. Fear I would find a total disconnection to the people, culture and land. Fear my heritage was only a blood line and nothing else. You have such admiration and pride for your ancestors that I feared I'd leave with a confused identity.

What my time in Vilnius has shown me is that I am in fact, Lithuanian. Our short time there brought me solace and a new sense of 'home' and belonging. While this was a personal trip to my 'homeland', it also opened me up to a whole other part of Europe!

Eastern Europe doesn't get the credit it deserves. While Western Europe is being overrun with tourists, Eastern Europe has its own thing going on. 

We'll most certainly be back! In the meantime, I've come away with a full heart and plenty of inspiration to feed my new found creativity.  

I'll share additional thoughts on our time in Vilnius in a separate post. Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment